1. Home Office - 2022 Remodeling Trends
Home offices continue to be wildly popular as we move into 2022. And homeowners are trading kitchen counters for more professional dedicated workspaces. People are more inclined these days to find the perfect office space in their homes. The main elements that professionals are looking for in their study rooms are functionality, practicality, and aesthetics. They are also wanting creative spaces in order to meet the ambitious demands of their jobs.
Designers are reporting that homeowners are becoming more aware of how the layout and aesthetics of a room can affect energy and productivity. Converting a space into a viable work area is not just a fun endeavor, but a necessity for growing numbers of people who now work remotely, due in large part to the ongoing pandemic.
A major trend recently, and expected to gain steam this year, is homeowners utilizing unused rooms such as secondary living spaces, an extra bedroom, and breakfast rooms, and transforming them into custom office spaces with built-ins and high-tech solutions like smart boards, projectors, and wet bars.
Here are the primary aspects of work that remote workers are prioritizing in their home office spaces:
Equipment: They are including everything they need to work from home that lends efficiency to their jobs. Equipment such as computers, printers, modems, routers, FAX machines, filing cabinets, etc. are in the typical home office.
Location: Ideally, people are seeking quiet areas in their homes, even if this means using a fold-away desk in a guestroom that works just as well as a room.
Colors: People working remotely in their homes are choosing colors that are calm and focus the mind. For example, these colors might include subtle blues, greens, and neutrals.
Décor: Remote workers are avoiding decorations in their home offices in order to stay focused. Décor often includes wall art, striking shelving, plants, and fun rugs to conserve space.
2. Additions - 2022 Remodeling Trends
Accessible Features: Aging-in-place home additions continue to be very popular and should continue to be so into the new year. Homeowners are seeking to make more areas of their homes conducive to comfortable living for their aging parents and relatives, and for people, in general, who have limited mobility.
Accessible ADUs: These additions are typically built as a detached ADU (accessory dwelling unit) or a full-addition that is connected to the main home. Some people are choosing to convert their garage into a suite that contains all the important accessibility features for aging parents.
Are you considering converting a room or garage into an In-law suite? 3Rs Construction & Remodeling, your local contractor, can help! Contact us today!
3. Bathrooms That Feel Like Spas - 2022 Remodeling Trends
When it comes to what we can expect to see in 2022 for remodeling trends in the bathroom, you should be on the lookout for the return of scenic murals, plenty of plants, as well as mixing and matching textures.
Bring in the Plants
Bathroom design this year will be closely connected with nature. With so much time spent indoors during much of the last two years because of the pandemic, people are being drawn to nature, and this is displayed in their remodel tendencies that include putting different varieties of plants in bathrooms that feel like spas.
Other trends this year for bathrooms that feel like spas include:
- Scenic Murals: Color intricate murals and hand-drawn scenes will be added to bathrooms and powder rooms, in an effort to create spa-like sanctuaries.
- Luxurious Fixtures: Designers believe that calm and serene motifs will dominate in bathrooms that feel like spas this year. This will include luxurious finishes and striking storage features. People are seeking a balance of light and natural hues to create spaces in the bathroom that are blissful and offer an escape feel.
- Statement Marble: Designers forecast that we will see white and grey shades of marble used in higher-end luxury schemes. Homeowners are increasingly creating a feeling of opulence by using materials that contrast with each other to create visual and tactile texture in the bathroom.
- Wet Rooms and Walk-in Showers: It is becoming more common for people to choose walk-in showers and wet rooms instead of baths. Bathrooms that feel like spas are moving away from smaller cubicles and embracing bigger and larger enclosures.
4. Kitchen - 2022 Remodeling Trends
As we move forward into the year 2022, when it comes to kitchen remodeling, expect a shift away from matte finishes and towards gloss. In addition to being easy to clean, glazed tile will also reflect light around the room.
There is also a clear move toward the use of natural elements for kitchens in 2022. Against the backdrop of the pandemic – with forced isolation from nature – there is a renewed appeal for marble, granite, and unpainted wood cabinets. Along with having an aesthetic quality, these materials are also recognized for reducing the amount of chemically treated materials in the home.
In general, when it comes to kitchen textures, homeowners are preferring textures found in wallpaper and new lines of paint. Losing popularity is flat finish drywall in favor of surfaces you want to run your hands over or engage in a tactile way. People are increasingly becoming bored with basic paint for wall applications and are now looking for dimension and visual interest.
It can be challenging to get the lighting in the kitchen just as you want it, but the art of layering will be pivotal to designing kitchens successfully this year. A kitchen only needs a certain amount of task lighting in preparation areas. Having too many downlighters and the kitchen ceiling could end up looking similar to a landing strip.
Statement lights are coming onto the scene in kitchens this year. An example is pendant lighting, which, if arranged in the right way, can be show-stopping. People are more often now exploring various pendant kitchen lighting ideas. For example, grouping multiple pendants to add drama to the kitchen.
Modern and beautiful linear lighting will be big in 2022. This type of lighting provides consistent illumination over a kitchen island. Homeowners and designers are partial to this lighting because it can be both breathtaking and functional.
Trends in Kitchen Colors
- Bold Colors: In recent years and continuing into 2022, bold colors have made their way back into the kitchen, and not only as an accent color. This year, look for bolder, brighter colors on everything in the kitchen from cabinets to the kitchen sink. The obvious go-to colors are blues and greens, but homeowners are also choosing colors that double as neutrals such as navy blues, gray-greens, deep plums, and earth tones.
- Colorful Cabinetry: Bold colorful cabinetry continues to be a popular kitchen trend. More homeowners are adding a personal touch to their kitchens and shifting away from the all-white look. You can expect to see wood cabinets in warm, neutral hues.
- Green Gaining Popularity: Green hues are expected to become more popular for kitchen remodels in 2022. In fact, green could become a top choice for kitchen designers this year, as green is the selection for color of the year in 2022 by some major paint retailers, including Benjamin Moore.
Kitchen Automation Trends
Smart home technology, or kitchen automation, has been slow to meet consumer demand, as far as some homeowners are concerned. Entering 2022, this appears to be changing for the better. Approximately 35 percent of renovating homeowners say that at least one of their upgraded appliances includes high-tech features, which is an increase of 6 percentage points from the past year. Among the most prevalent high-tech features are wireless smartphones and tablet controls.
5. Outdoor Kitchens - 2022 Remodeling Trends
The pervasive trend this year for outdoor kitchens is that more homeowners are using them for entertaining family and friends. People are now demanding that their outdoor kitchens serve as more of a functional space.
A survey conducted in 2021 by the International Casual Furnishings Association found that “90 percent of Americans with outdoor living space have been taking greater advantage of their decks, porches and patios, and consider their outdoor living space is more valuable than ever before.”
Call on the Home Remodeling Experts at 3Rs Construction & Remodeling
When you are ready to get started on your next home remodeling project, we invite you to call the experts at 3Rs Construction & Remodeling. 503-363-1059
Whether you’re planning to remodel your kitchen, bathroom or an addition, our highly skilled professionals will guide you and help you come up with design options and then make it come to life.