The Key to a Great Remodel
What’s the NUMBER ONE thing that will help you get the kitchen you’ve always wanted?
It’s a single four-letter word. …PLAN!
Nothing will be more valuable for you or your contractor than to know what it is that you want. When you go into a remodeling project of any kind, you’ll need to know what you want for an end result.
So, if you need (or really want) a kitchen remodel, November is a great time to start planning!
- November begins the big holiday baking and cooking routine.
- November daylight is shorter, so you’re inside your home more.
- November brings more indoor social gatherings of family and friends.
- ...as a result, you will be noticing all the things you wish were different in your kitchen!
Let’s Help You Plan!
It's as easy as One - Two - Three!
ONE: What Kind of Remodel is Best?
Ask yourself if you want at total kitchen remodel, partial remodel, or multiple selected updates.
- Total Kitchen Remodel — This means taking everything out… appliances, cabinets, flooring, sheetrock, etc., so that you can start fresh. It may even include changing the shape or footprint of your kitchen.
- Partial Kitchen Remodel — This method could include taking out parts of the major kitchen features but keeping the general floor plan. For example, taking out the flooring, countertop, and appliances and keeping the existing cabinets.
- Selected Kitchen Updates — This could mean just replacing a few older, worn-out items such as appliances, countertops, flooring, or cabinets. It could also include simple changes like painting, adding a tile feature, replacing a range hood, or updating hardware and fixtures.
Believe it or not, a total remodel could be less expensive than the partial remodel! Depending on your desired features or quality of items, gutting the whole kitchen could take less time, resulting in lower labor costs. Working around old, existing features can add more complications and time-consuming projects. Be sure to discuss your unique needs with your contractor!
TWO: What Are My Favorite Things?
Dream a little! What have you always wanted in your kitchen? This process will help you determine what is most important to you when it comes time to making decisions. We suggest making three lists with specific goals.
1. IF I COULD GET IT ALL!
List all the things you really want and need to get your dream kitchen.
2. HOW IMPORTANT ARE THEY?
Now take your dream list and put them in order of most important to least important.
3. FLEXIBLE CHOICES
List items that could be changed if the budget isn’t cooperating. Choosing a different brand or material can make a big difference.
THREE: Before you do anything else, plan a BUDGET!
Spend some time reviewing your finances and determine what you’ll be able to spend. In fact, a good approach is to set aside money specifically for a kitchen remodel.
If it helps, create a special saving account so that you can segregate it from your general finances. This way you can watch it grow and anticipate the great new kitchen at the same time!
Planning is fun!
Once you have thought through the necessary three steps, there will be other detailed decisions to make. Choose a contractor like 3Rs Construction that will listen to your ideas and work within your budget. A good home remodel contractor will take the time to help you get the kitchen you really want!
If you need help getting started, we have a FREE Kitchen Remodel Planning Kit that will guide you through the planning process, help you make important decisions and give you the tools you need to get the job done right.
When you are ready to put your kitchen remodel plans into action, call 3Rs Construction to help you make it a reality! We have the experienced team of professionals you need to get the job done right.
Call for a free appointment today! 503-363-1059 or use our convenient contact form.