You’ve got a home remodel project that needs be completed. It’s more than you can do on your own and hiring a general contractor will be a necessity. So where do you begin? How do you know who to choose?
Here at 3Rs Construction Management LLC, we would love to say, “Choose us!” But if you don’t live in Oregon’s Willamette Valley it’s likely we wouldn’t be available to help you.
HERE ARE A FEW SIMPLE TIPS TO GET YOU STARTED IN PICKING YOUR GENERAL CONTRACTOR:
Ask Your Friends and Family for Home Contractor Referrals
- The firsthand experience of people you trust is a great place to start.
- Remember, a “friend of a friend” may not be qualified to do the project you have in mind.
TIP #2 (updated April 2017 by 3Rs Construction)
Review the Credentials of Recommended Contractors
- Check with the Better Business Bureau.
- Look for reputable business associations and online reviews.
- Home construction contractors are required to be licensed with the Construction Contractors Board (CCB) and be bonded to work in Oregon.
- 3Rs recently discovered a great web site provided by the CCB called “BUYER BEWARE” (⇐ link). Click here to read their newsletter article regarding the launch of the page.
Schedule an Appointment to Meet Face to Face.
- Construction today is highly regulated, if you feel comfortable with the contractor and the company checks out online, you’re on the right track
Multiple Quotes Are Not Necessarily Necessary
- With the wide spread use of social media and internet reviews, getting multiple quotes not only ties up a lot of time but many contractors today don’t have the time to get into bidding wars and will pass on the job rather than tie up the time and resources to bid on a job they may not get in favor of clients who already want to work with them.
- Quotes for your project should include an available start and anticipated completion date.
- As a homeowner, you should build in a contingency budget of 20% of the cost and time schedule for your project. Even the very best plans can include unexpected needs.
Get a Contract in Writing
- A written contract protects both you and the contractor.
- Make sure you understand the contract… It’s O.K to ask questions!
BEWARE of Scams!
- Don’t be persuaded by someone who wants to be paid with cash only, or wants to be paid in full before starting. This person is most likely working without a license and can leave you and your home vulnerable to poor quality work without any course of action to make it right.
Here in Salem, Oregon, we have a great selection of licensed general contractors. Do your homework to find the right construction company for you and your project. We hope that 3Rs Construction will be among the contractors you choose to get a free estimate.
The professionals at 3Rs Construction take pride in using time-proven building techniques, an awareness of new products, and our customer’s unique desires for any home construction project. We would love to meet with you and discuss how new construction, remodeling, or an addition will provide you with a home that has value, function, and beauty.
For more information about 3Rs Construction in Salem, Oregon please see our list of services, and visit our website homepage at 3RsConstruction.com. You will also find a Testimonials page with reviews from our customers.